This is going to be a short post. The photo above depicts one of my favorite costumes I’ve ever worn. I actually wore it for work! I love wigs and make-up and silver/sparkly things! I also wore some silver boots with this space person outfit.
This Halloween is a special one because it’s the first one with my son. It made me think back to all of the Halloweens I had growing up. I wanted to post a list of some of the costumes I remembered. All of them were DIY because my parents didn’t want to spend money on any fancy ones (smart!).
- Bum (!)
- Cleopatra (complete with a woven wig that had shells on it that made a cool sound)
- Alice in Wonderland (I WON first place when I was in first grade for this costume. A friend had sewn it for us. However, I was a sensitive child and didn’t want to join the costume parade to show the 5th and 6th grader. Okay, I cried. So they gave me second place and an orange creamsicle that melted as I ate it on my way home in the Arizona heat (probably 80 degrees that October)).
- Interesting fact: I don’t think I have EVER been a witch, good or bad! I might have to change that.
- Captain Soggybottom – Pirate (Too much whiskey and an eyeliner beard drawn on, do not make a good costume!).
- Blue Fairy
- Your Worst Nightmare (I wore this costume the night I met one of my best friends, shout out to Steve and Linguistics!)
- Cool Cat Lady
- Daisy from Scott Fitzgerald’s classic The Great Gatsby *
- Scully from X Files
* I’d like to point out this sad truth: I have only ONCE dressed up as a literary character (well, twice if you count Alice!) I can’t believe it! As I started thinking about all of the costumes I have tried, I realized this and was APPALLED! Below is me as Daisy with Gatsby. The Great Gatsby is still one of my favorite books. Next year, will be a literary Halloween! Oh, this year we are all circus folk (Me: tarot reader, baby: strong man, husband: ringleader!)
What did you dress up as?